Friday, May 16, 2014
Whats For Dinner
Friends it is Friday- it is the Long Weekend- it is sunny! All these things are terribly exciting to me right now as I sit here on my deck- sipping my first coffee of the day- surveying my kingdom- AKA garden. It's just before 7am and all ready it's hot out- not Santa Clara hot- but hot enough to sit out on the deck sipping coffee in a tank top- just for the record I also have pants on. At any rate I'm already thinking about how hot our apartment will be this afternoon at dinner time and I've decided that a hot day like this will call for some easy comfort food tonight- enter in the humble lentil salad!
2 cups lentils- soaked and cooked
1/2 onion diced
one red pepper diced
one bundle spinach- rinsed and drained
salt and pepper
apple cider vinegar
- in a frying pan saute onions and garlic until translucent- add in red pepper at the end just to soften up a tiny bit- add in spinach and cover- cook for a few minutes until spinach is wilted- remove from heat
- in a large salad bowl combine pre-cooked lentils and veg mixture
- to make salad dressing combine- 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar, small amount of Dijon mustard and a drizzle of maple syrup- s&p to taste
- drizzle dressing over salad and combine well- this is great when made ahead and left to marinade with the dressing on a few hours.
- serve as a side with a fried or poached egg and avocado toast for what is quite possibly the most simple meal ever- of and don't forget the wine- aways wine!
As stated Friends it is indeed Friday- this weekend we are shockingly staying off the roads for a bit of a Staycation- we will be hoofing it all over our fair city being tourists in our own town- first up the Trout Lake Farmers Market! I hope you all have a spectacular weekend filled with love and fine boxed wine- Happy Friday Friends!