Monday, November 18, 2013

Tales From The Weekend


        It's funny how most people consider Summer time the season for slowing down and taking things easy- myself I consider Winter- or late Fall as we are in now- the perfect time for snuggling in and being a lazy bones. The temperature is dipping and the clouds have rolled in to stay- personally I have very little excuse to be outside right now! That said we did bundle up and head over to the Winter Farmer's Market at Nat Bailey Stadium this past weekend- this is by far our favourite market- all of our favourite vendors in one place consistently- so convenient for the weekly grocery shop!



         The market was packed this week so it seems we are not the only locals who share in this point of view- so much goodness is still coming in from the fields! Not to mention the cheeses, butter, bread, beef jerky, sausages, eggs, dried goods, herbs- all these wonderful pantry staples are up for purchase year round. I'm sure I have mentioned before how much I prefer shopping the Farmer's Market to the grocery store- the community spirit is practically palatable on days like this- the buskers adding to the mood with their tunes- throw in a bunch of dogs and kids- its a recipe for warm fuzzy feelings!


          As mentioned things are getting chilly round these parts- even though both the Mr. and I grew up in much colder climes we have both become accustomed to winter on the West Coast- or Wet Coast as is often the case. The slightest dip in temperature sends us shivering for hats, mitts and hot chocolate- so post- market a quick stop at our favourite neighbourhood cafe- Le Marche was in order. Stepping into Le Marche is akin to stepping into a still life painting- everything is so beautifully curated- from the silver and china they use to serve on- to the groceries displayed on the shelves. This truly is one of my happy places!


           To my mind Fall is about tucking in and re-connecting with the people you love- with the neighbourhoods you love, with the food you love. Put to bed are our carefree, adventure days of summer- replaced with a time of rest. Winter Solstice is approaching- that magical time of year when the days are so short- such an ancient event that modern humans have yet to control or change. The days are short and the nights are long- time to rest and recharge one's batteries in anticipation of the return of the sun!

4 comments:

  1. We have an abundance of Farmer's Markets here, as you would expect. But I love our Friday one. It's much smaller, and many of the same vendors you'd see at the bigger ones on the weekends, but they're cheaper! I always see 5-6 friends there, with their kids as well. I score excellent deals, and it's my main place for veg, fruit, eggs and milk. I can even get organic grass fed meat to supplement my freezers. I love it there. Sadly my boy child was sick on Friday so we had to miss. I had to buy pasturized milk! VILE! I can't wait for you to come, I'll have to show you ALL of them! Are you sure you can't stay for like a month? A year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to check out all your local haunts that you are always talking about! I think we are even going to be at your place on a Friday- so yeah for Farmer's Markets! Clearly I will have to do a blog post on the markets of California!

      and I would love to stay longer but I think my husband might start to miss us;) that is a very tempting offer at this time of the year when it's getting so cold here!

      Delete
  2. I miss the Saturday market especially after a swim class or ballet. A good family outing. I miss the excellent organic turkey and the lavender goat cheese. Have not found replacements here yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got some lavender goats cheese on the weekend & thought of you Tannis !

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!