Thursday, February 28, 2013

In My Kitchen

Who: Me! Yes I actually thought this recipe up on my own!

What: Low Carb Turkey Burger

When: Just last week

Where: My kitchen

Why: I love a good burger but the carbs and fat in a regular burger were killing my healthy eating plan- OK yah it's my diet-I wanted to burger that I could eat and not go into a food coma after- so I looked for low carb alternatives to my usual bread crumb suspects


How:

1 packet ground turkey
1 cup frozen spinach- still frozen
as much oregano as you like
minced garlic
3 tablespoons ground flax
1 small egg
stone ground mustard- a tablespoon or so

- place all ingredients in a bowl and combine well- I find because there are no bread crumbs- form into palm sized patties- the mixture is a tad sloppy so it is best to place each patty between parchment paper and chill in the freezer for about 10 min. I cooked mine on an indoor grill which worked really well- I would suggest this as I haven't tried them on the BBQ yet.

  When paired with a kale & brussel sprout salad this was a very satisfying and filling meal- all the hall marks of a good recipe! I would also like to use the word diet very loosely- to me that word carries the connotations of an oppressive ruler over your body- disallowing you from getting any pleasure from your food. I like to think of my "diet" as more of a healthy eating plan- I am learning what fuels my body and makes it strong as opposed to filling it with sugar and making me crash.

    The other bonus is this burger is gluten free! So next time my gluten free friends come over for dinner this is what we are having- and maybe some yam fries, and a box of fine wine....

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Flax will gel, so you might not need the egg next time. I like to use ground up oats or oat bran too sometimes.
    Now I have a hankering to make some burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi theгe! Τhis рost could not be written muсh better!
    Reading through thіs post reminds me of my preѵiouѕ
    rοommate! He сontіnually κeрt preaсhing about this.
    I will forward this article tο him. Pretty sure
    he ωіll havе a ood read. I appreeciate you fоr sharіng!


    Here іs my ρage ... dontae morгis
    ԁashcam video; Http://ningkuei.blogspot.com/2006/05/blog-Post_26.html,

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!