Sweet Potato- that's some good soup!
3-4 peeled and cubed sweet potatoes ( yes mom the orange ones)
1 small coarsely chopped onion
1 tbsp olive oil
2 peeled garlic cloves
5 cups veg or chicken broth
1 tbsp grated ginger root
1 tsp mild curry powder
salt & pepper to taste
-oil a cookie sheet or shallow pan - add cubed sweet potatoes, onion & garlic cloves- drizzle with the olive oil. Roast at 400 for about 20-30 min- depending on how hot your oven gets- just watch and check, when the potatoes are soft the veggies are ready.
- transfer roasted veggies to a soup pot and add broth, ginger, curry powder, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil
- reduce heat to medium low and simmer ,covered for about 10 min.
- at this point you can either transfer to a blender or food processor and thoroughly blend or use an immersion blender right in the pot. Puree until smooth.
- garnish with sour cream or yogurt, toast crisps or plain is good as well!
p.s. this recipe was inspired by the Looneyspoons Gals- I just switched up the spices a bit
The Stay- At- Home Chef's Chocolate Sauce!
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
8 ounces good dark chocolate
1 tsp vanilla
- in a small sauce pan bring the cream and sugar to a roiling boil, stirring constantly. Turn off heat and sieve in cocoa- whisking until smooth, add chocolate and stir that until smooth. Whisk in vanilla. Pour into a jar & refrigerate. Reheat to serve. Chocolate sauce from scratch is that easy!
p.s. This recipe is from Chef Michael Smith who is actually the Chef At Home
We had some friends over for dinner on the weekend- the weather was still fine enough to sit out on the deck- all be it wrapped in blankets but we did manage to have our dinner out there. I am a big fan of soup parties- soup, bread, cheese and some sweet treat for dessert- whats not to love! I like to think that the chocolate sauce, ice cream ,strawberries and whipped cream are balanced out by the hearty goodness of the sweet potato soup- just ignore the bread I have on the side- that never even happened!