Friday, March 16, 2018

Well Loved: Making Magazine


        I think these days there are just so many amazing publications and opportunities for makers and shakers that there is a very real fear of missing out (F.O.M.O.). It's a thing- it's symptoms are very similar to anxiety and often leave the maker in question with a nagging sensation in the pit of the stomach that there are simply not enough hours in the day!

     Over the past few years I have come to acknowledge this feeling- I hold onto it for a day or so- say hello- how do you do- and then let it move on down the road. I simply cannot knit or sew all of the things I would love to. Playing a huge role in this craft anxiety is the fact that there really are just so many amazing things happening in the world of making. The pressure to create whats trending on social media or other platforms can be massive- especially for someone with a short attention span such as myself.

     I mentioned I have slowed it down- like way down. So much so that I am still working my way through publications from last Summer. Case in point is my much loved Issue No.3 of Making Magazine. I love this issue so much that I have knit 2 sweaters from it- baked the blue berry cake recipe many times over (once with cherries- amaze) and started a number of French knot projects. Up next is a little Spring skirt for my girlie. I love this issue just so darn much!

     What Making does just so well is produce each issue as a stand alone book- I don't feel like I am missing out by continuing to use this issue as a resource. Each project is just so thoughtfully laid out and works so well together as a collection of beautiful handmade items and stories. And good news those beautiful words can be listened to regularly as my favourite magazine has collaborated with my favourite Podcasters to create the perfect holistic making experience!

     So this season I highly recommend saying a hard NO to fear of missing out also known as crafters anxiety and dig deeper into what you really love. Find the thing that inspires you and really experience it in it's entirety! Friends it is Friday- it's been awhile since I have written those words- and I am looking forward to far too much fun with friends- some good yarn and even better coffee! Happy Friday!

P.S. I am in no way wishing to make light of anxiety- I know it's not a laughing matter. However there is a grain of truth here and that is we all need to know our limits. We need to start saying no so we can shed some of that fear of missing out and be present with what we love!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!