Do you know what goes really well with this disgusting weather we have been having lately? Cake- knitting- hibernating. Which is exactly what I have been doing- Miss Lo and I baked this super yummy spicy applesauce cake yesterday and it was gone by 9 a.m. this morning- yeah it's just that good! When combined with a good cuppa tea and some yummy yarn on the sticks this cake brings a much needed level of comfort to my life.
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup chilled applesauce
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flax
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup Golden raisins
*optional add in a handful of chopped walnuts
- pre heat oven to 350 degrees
- grease an 8 x8 pan and set aside
- cream together butter and sugar
- add in applesauce, mix well
- stir in flour and baking soda along with spices
- add raisins (and nuts at this time)
- pour batter into greased pan and bake about 40 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- enjoy on it's own as we did here or top with fresh whipped Maple cream- yummo!
Friends it is Friday again- this week has felt a little bit unreal- we are all trying to settle back into our routines- admittedly a bit at odd angles with our regular life after travelling. I think some tender feelings combined with this rainy weather we will be snuggling up inside for the majority of our weekend. I'm going to use this indoor time to keep organizing and preparing for fairer days when we are rarely home- I wonder is this the reverse of making hay while the sun shines! At any rate now is the time to get our home better sorted, make some yummy soups and maybe watch another marathon of The Long Way Round! Friends I hope your feet stay dry and your hearts stay warm- much love and Happy Friday!