Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Canned: Dilly Beans


           Our family takes our Caesars* very seriously- that tasty breakfast libation that I consider more of a snack than anything as the garnish is just as important as the actual beverage. One of my favourite garnishes is the Dilly Bean- similar to a Dill Pickle but with beans instead- delish! My recipe comes from one of my Aunts- possibly Aunt Barbara- written out when I was a child- I must have been visiting in the Summer.

 The Goods:

2 lbs beans- washed and trimmed
1-2 tsp cayenne pepper per jar
4 cloves garlic
4 heads of dill
2.5 cups of water
2.5 cups of vinegar 5%
1/4 cup pickling salt


The Deal:

Place a clove of garlic and a head of dill in each of the sterilized jars- if you like garlic add more- if you don't so much like garlic use half a clove.


Pack jars with beans- I like to cut them to uniform size so I can really pack them in tight- sprinkle with 1/4- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper. Cover with boiling brine- place sterilize lid and ring on jar- set aside to be processed.



 Seal Process: place jars in a pot of boiling water- this is where the big black canners usually come into play- I don't actually have one so all I do to process is place a hot mitt or tea towel in the bottom of a large pot- this prevents the jars from smashing against the bottom. Process in boiling bath for ten minutes- set aside to cool and seal.


Set aside in your cupboard for at least a month before enjoying with a delicious morning Caesar! I also really like to eat my Dilly Beans in salads as a side- its a great way to add a bit of interest and different flavour to any meal! Enjoy!

* a Caesar is very similar to a Bloody Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!