Thursday, June 27, 2013

Momma's Camping Survival Kit & My Marshmallow Recipe


       Friends- it is almost the Canada Day long weekend- yes! I truly live for long weekends- that extra day of Daddy being around and watching the kids while I sit and drink fine boxed wine really does help me get through some rough times! This weekend we are heading out of town and going camping- yes the all Canadian adventure- I do have a few tricks up my sleeve for having fun- besides the fine boxed wine!

       I always take at least one new book and a couple of magazines- this way I have appropriate reading material for any sort of attention span fluctuations I happen to have during my trip- it happens and often that I can only focus on short magazine articles- the fine boxed wine has nothing to do with that! A sneaky parenting trick that I can not claim to have invented is packing a few new goodies- stickers, small animals and tiny mini puzzles ( thanks Oolawoola!) are the perfect distraction for time spent waiting by the Littles. Health and Safety is up next- starting with a small pot of after- sun lotion (again thanks Oolawoola), a facestick- SPF 30, Water bottle and head lamp- essential for hands free visits to the outhouse with Littles! All topped off with my custom blend trail mix- this bag is just for me and I am not sharing! Oh and the wool- how could I forget the wool! I am hoping to start and finish a project this weekend- oh so good- can't wait to share!


       I have also had lots of requests for my Marshmallow recipe- even a lady in line at the grocery store was quizzing us- so here it is!

vegetable oil for brushing
4 envelopes unflavoured gelatin
3 cups granulated sugar
1 14 cups golden corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

* you will also need a candy thermometer


1. brush a 9 x13 glass dish with oil- line it with parchment- allowing some to stick out on either side- brush parchment with oil and set aside- do not skip this step!!!

2. place sugar, corn syrup, salt and 3/4 cup water in a medium saucepan- bring to a boil over high heat- stirring to dissolve sugar- cook with out stirring until syrup reaches 238 degrees on a candy thermometer.

3. put 3/4 cup cold water into the bowl of an electric mixer, sprinkle in gelatin- let soften 5 min.

4. with the whisk attachment on the mixer beat in syrup on low speed - gradually increase speed on the mixture to high- beat until mixture is very stiff and has basically tripled in amount- it will also look white and fluffy- about 12-15 minutes- beat in vanilla

5. pour into prepared dish and smooth with offset spatula- I'm not gonna lie- I used my clean hands dipped in icing sugar- a tad messy but it was less frustrating than the spatula.

6. sift confectioners sugar onto work surface- unmold marshmallows and remove parchment- lightly brush a sharp knife with oil and cut into 2 inch squares- you can also spray a cookie cutter with oil and do the same although there is a fair bit of waste involved.

7. sift 1/2 cup of sugar into small bowl and roll each marshmallow to lightly coat- can be stored up to 3 days in a sealed container

      This recipe was from Martha Stewart and as we all know that lady knows her stuff- I have made this a few times and it is a hit every time. We love the way the marshmallows toast and taste like the ones from when we were kids! 

      So here are the facts people- a) I will be camping b) sipping fine boxed wine and c) eating marshmallows- this is going to be some weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!