Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Public Art and You!




    We are so lucky to live in a city with so much public art- there is of course quite a bit of discussion amongst the art's community that it is not enough- but as we all know you can't please all of the people all of the time. From a pedestrian point of view I feel there is an abundance of free, public art- accessible to all if you just go out and look for it.


     Recently we visited two of our favourite pieces of public art- local Vancouverites will not be surprised to see A-mazing Laughter by sculptor Yue Minjun. One of the most feel good sculptures I have ever seen the viewer is drawn in by the shear size of the "Funny Guys"- as our Littles call them- one cannot help but interact with the piece which is apparent as they are currently decorated with pots, pans and other cookware!  Check out this interesting story about how A-mazing laughter has become a permanent fixture in English Bay- if you have yet to experience the "Funny Guys" I would highly suggest it- located right on the corner of Davie and Denman Streets in the West End.


      Our next stop was brought to us courtesy of the Mr. who had heard about this place on the radio- I assume the CBC as that is all he ever listens to! Nothing Happens In Good Weather is a fantastic installation that plays with the viewer's eye as to what colour things actually are. A narrow alley just off the busy Fraser St and 46th is painted hot pink and black stripes which I interpret as very similar to the sunset- it has that same glowy feeling.


      Nothing Happens In Good Weather is a social investigation by the artist collective Instant Coffee- given the space and props the community is invited to interact and actually use the space- combining an underused space with a bold aesthetic. I think the results are truly art for the people, by the people. If you haven't checked this vibrant installation out yet do so- I believe it will be around for a few more months.





      I love art that is fresh and current- public art is often both of those things- usually temporary and often ephemeral. I love that public art is for the people of a city to enjoy for free- it is usually very easy to understand. If you live in Vancouver- a city I know to be full of free art- I encourage you to go out and experience it! If you live other places I know if you look you will discover a vibrant arts community- because the art's are never anything but vibrant- look around, do an Internet search- I encourage you all to go out and find one or two pieces of public art in your respective hometowns! It's free and it is there for you all to enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!