Friday, November 30, 2012

In My Kitchen


      I have been asked several times for my bread recipe and so I thought I would just share it here where everyone can find it! This is my very simple, everyday bread recipe- I feel comfortable knowing exactly what is in it- simple ingredients- no preservatives. I started baking bread soon after the Holidays last year and haven't looked back since.


  The Goods:

1/2 cup skim milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt (I leave this out)
3 tablespoons butter
2 packages active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
5-6 cup flour (I use half whole wheat)

The Deal:

Place milk, sugar, salt and butter in a small sauce pan. Heat over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves- cool down.

Meanwhile place 1 1/2 cups warm water in mixing bowl- dissolve a teaspoon of sugar and add yeast- let sit the duration of first step (until the yeast looks bubbly and foamy)

Combine yeast, butter & milk mixture together with 4 cups of flour- if you are using a mixer then mix for about a minute. If you are working by hand stir until all ingredients are combined- when you cant stir with a spoon any more get in there with your hands and mix until all ingredients are combined. At this point start adding in a half cup of flour  at a time and combining until the dough is not sticky. If you are using a mixer- mix about 2 minutes. If you are working by hand- it will take about 5 minutes. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch- you may not need all 6 cups of flour.

With mixer- Knead dough for about 2 more minutes
By Hand- Knead dough for about 5 more minutes

Place dough in mixing bowl covered with a clean tea towel and let rise in a warm, draft free place for about an hour or until the dough has doubled in bulk.

Punch dough down and divide in half- form into a loaf "shape", place in a greased bread pan. Cover again. Let rise again for about an hour or until dough has doubled.

Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown- about 30 minutes. Remove from pans & let cool before devouring!


    Friends it is Friday once again! This weekend we will be fully immersing ourselves in the holiday spirit and decking the halls- egg nog anyone? I'm also looking forward to having coffee and a visit in person with my sister Saturday morning during Miss Lo's ballet class- a festive occasion if I ever heard! May your hearts be warm and your toes be frost bite free Friends- happy weekending!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!