Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Seam Allowance


     All too often this Momma's sewing gets passed over ( by herself admittedly) for smaller, cuter and easier garments. Not so the case this week- I made the time for myself- yah it's something new I'm trying out- this making time for myself. The boy was temporarily put out that the three pairs of pants he has so patiently been waiting for were put on hold while his Momma sewed something that made her heart sing.

    If you remember last Wednesday's post where in I totally nerded out over some organic chambray that I had ordered from Merchant & Mills- well I wasn't sure what I was going to sew with it. Then I received a pattern - also from Merchant & Mills- that I didn't think I would be seeing for a few weeks- The Dress Shirt pattern. Sigh- this looked to be the perfect pattern- simplicity and ease at it's best- with details pulled from classic men's shirting. This would be the pattern to use with my lovely chambray.


      And so the wild rumpas began- my Mr. had to work late one evening so I popped some corn and threw on a movie for the Littles- they were ecstatic over having a movie night mid week! I layed out the pattern and took that first snip into the yardage- then hours just fell away. This dress seriously only took about three hours from layout to try on- it was that easy!

 
     I love everything about this dress- the casual ease- the delicate gathering across the back yolk, the unexpected subtle detail of the bib front with a few tucks and gathers and best of all - three quarter length sleeves- I am forever rolling sleeves up to wash dishes or tackle some other messy bit of life.


    I am giving this pattern two  enthusiastic thumbs up- I will most definitely be making this dress again- perhaps in a more summer weight voile to sport over a slip. When I started my Seam Allowance project I had every intention of sewing up tonnes of beautiful frocks for myself- time however is the ultimate enemy- never enough time. I have to start taking myself and the the projects that fill my heart with joy off the back burner more often- my goal for the coming year is to do more for me- I'm starting that now- Hello November 14, 2012- I am taking time for myself today!

4 comments:

  1. <3 love this pattern! And you look rather fantastic in it as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh well thank you! Although I'm squinting- again! like in every picture I have ever taken!!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Sharilyn! I've been thinking of that jumper we saw at Spruce Collective and that I have a pattern very similar. I'm just looking for the perfect fabric and some time! I'm glad you took some for yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a super cute jumper! I am thinking I am going to start dying some fabric- I have something in my mind that I cant find in real life- are you in? I want to go to Maiwa and get some natural dyes.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!