Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Yarn Treats


        If you follow along with me over on Instagram then you likely have seen my flood of road trip posts- this past long weekend we hit the road and drove down to Long Beach in Washington for a mini getaway with friends. It was great- everything we needed as a family- unwinding time for all (except the Mr. who did all the driving- the man is a saint) plenty of beach hangs, camp fires and erm adult beverages.

      On our way home it was decided that we would avoid Seattle and head through the interior- conveniently right by one of my favourite yarn shops- Tolt Yarn and Wool! When we lived in Vancouver visits to Tolt happened on the reg- these days not so much. I haven't been in two years! So while I could have easily gone bananas and bought everything I laid my eyes on I intentionally just slowed it way down and took it all in. I touched everything and got an idea of what new to me yarns feel like- I may have walked around squishing a skein of the new Ranch 01 from Brooklyn Tweed.

     In the end though I contained myself and came away with some really special yarns- two skiens of Quince Owl in Mesa- a gorgeous worsted weight. Destined to be crocheted (yes you read that right) into the Strossel hat by Karen Crittenden. I also brought home one skein of Yoth Father- another worsted weight yarn in a deep indigo colour called Caviar. I love Yoth yarns and never miss a chance to add to my stash!

     Additionally I treated myself to some knitting art- a letter press print A Sense of Place by artist Anna Brones. As soon as I saw this print I feel in love- two of my favourite things combined knitting and printmaking! I don't purchase many souvenirs when I travel but yarn and art are two things I find difficult to pass up- both reminders of the roads I've traveled. When the time comes to work with this yarn I will forever remember the sticky hot day we stopped- my family hanging out at the van with the side door open- my Mr. peeling apples for a snack- the kids picking all the chocolate out of the trail mix- waiting patiently as I touched all the yarn!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment- I love hearing from you!